2019 US Open Update:
- Nick’s swagger and schtick couldn’t save him tonight, as he finds it’s rough going rubbing tennis elbows with Russia’s Rublev.
- Chung had no staying power, or for that matter power off the ground, in his short-lived fracas with ritual killer Rafa.
- Isner leaves way too many break points on base, and lets a sub-par Cilic slip through his fingers. The oversized American is fated to hit that 3rd round/4th round/quarter wall here on an annual basis until he figures out how to consistently (and effectively) return serve and execute from the baseline. And please, get a fashion coordinator (horizontal and vertical stripes should not live on the same tennis outfit).
- Short Schwartzman makes short work of a not-so-sanguine Sandren.
- Shapovalov is told to ship out due to Gael force winds. Nice job by Monfils hanging in for a very hard earned 5 set triumph.
- Now that he’s stopped Popyrin, Matteo hopes to pop his cherry by advancing to his first Major quarterfinal.