ChabDog’s Aussie Open Conversation Openers (Day 9):
- In the end, only Nadal was looking pretty in pink; Kyrgios gave us flashes of brilliance, but he showed weakness when it mattered most, and against Rafa providing any opening is normally lethal.
- Zverev pounds out a convincing victory against Rublev, and readies for a tougher test in the next round.
- Fed survives an Antietam type, blood and guts skirmish with Tennys, who brought a gimpy Roger to the brink of elimination; but 7 match points later, it’s the favorite who remains standing … and waiting for the winner of Djoker-Raonic. Give the No. 3 tons of credit for hanging in against almost insurmountable odds. For Sandgren, there may well be sleepless nights thinking about all those lost opportunities.
- Steady Kerber just didn’t have the weapons in her tool kit to avoid getting run over in the third by Pavlyuchenkova.
- Barty’s versatility gives less flexible Kvitova nothing but fits.
- Sofia knocks out Jabeur.